Networks and networking
Lars Soeftestad, in his capacity as a former World Bank staff member, as Coordinator, Community-Based Natural Resource Management Network (CBNRM Net), and as CEO, Supras Consult, has been and is involved in initiating and managing a number of ICT-based networks. Below key networks are presented, together with website links and publications.
Common Property Resource Management Network (CPRNet)
The rationale for CPRNet was to connect World Bank staff with external experts in specific areas, in connection with the Bank’s operational work relating to culture, traditional property rights, and indigenous peoples. CPRNet was the first network that Lars set up. It functioned in the period 1995-2000.
CPRNet had its own website on the Bank’s intranet, but these pages are possibly not available anymore. The above link is to a page that is part of the website that Lars prepared for the World Bank’s international CBNRM workshop in May 1998.
- Guide to CPRNet. 2000. Washington DC: World Bank.
Comment 1: Prepared December 2000. Originally prepared in early 1997, revised in connection with the May 1998 CBNRM workshop (this version still available on the World Bank website). Revised December 2000. [access]
Comment 2: This document is also available on the Bank’s website.
Community-Based Natural Resource Management Network (CBNRM Net)
After the international CBNRM workshop in May 1998, that Lars was involved in organizing, and recommendations by the participants, he founded CBNRM Net in order to facilitate continued networking by the participants as well as others interested. The World Bank did not make funding available for this work, and it was eventually transferred to CBNRM Networking, a Norwegian non-profit. Lars presently functions the Coordinator for CBNRM Net.
- International CBNRM workshop, May 1998 (on the World Bank website)
- CBNRM Net
- International CBNRM workshop, May 1998 (on the CBNRM Net website)
Comment: The site presently available for the 1968 CBNRM workshop is revised and shortened compared with the original site.
- Soeftestad, Lars T. 2007. “ICT-based networks as communities of practise: Past, present and future”. Presentation for on internal seminar at the World Bank, 29 June 2007, Washington DC, United States. [access]
- van der Hejden, Anna, Tony Pryor and Lars T. Soeftestad. 2006. Knowledge management and natural resources in Africa: Perspectives from two networks. Knowledge Management for Development Journal (KM4D) vol. 2, no. 1 (May 2006), 103-115. [access]
- Soeftestad, Lars T. 2004. Coastal and marine resources in the Caribbean: Local co-management and regional knowledge management. CBNRM Net Papers, no. 4 (November 2004). [online] URL: cbnrm.net/resources/papers [access]
- CBNRM Net: from managing natural resources to managing ecosystems, knowledge and people. 2004. With Prakash Kashwan. In: Arno Scharl, ed., Environmental online communication, 235-50. Series: Advanced Information and Knowledge Processing. London, United Kingdom: Springer. [url] [access]
- “Knowledges and legal reform in the Sahel: linking traditional and modern natural resource management legal regimes horizontally and vertically through use of ICTs.” 2004. Paper presented at the conference “Bridging scales and epistemologies: linking local knowledge with global science in multi-scale assessments,” 17-20 March 2004, at Bibliotheca Alexandria, Alexandria, Egypt, organized by the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (MEA). [access]
- Language, culture and communication in development cooperation. On the role of ICTs in networking online communities of practice. 2004. With Koffi O. Alinon, Daniela Diz, Michael V. Flyman, Tanja Kleibl and Lakhsara Mint Dié. CBNRM Net Papers no. 6 (March 2004). [online] URL: cbnrm.net/resources/papers [url] [access]
- CBNRM Net: from managing natural resources to managing ecosystems, knowledge and people. 2004. With Prakash Kashwan. CBNRM Net Papers no. 5 (March 2004). [online] URL: cbnrm.net/resources/papers Comment: Rev. ver. publ. in Arno Scharl, ed., Environmental online communication (see below). [url] [access]
- Aligning needs and means. On culture, ICT and knowledge in development cooperation. 2001. CBNRM Net Papers no. 2 (August 2001). Comment: Paper presented at the 24th Information System Research Seminar in Scandinavia (IRIS24), Ulvik, Norway, 11-14 August 2001. [online] URL: cbnrm.net/resources/papers [url] [access]
- “Report on the International Workshop on Community-Based Natural Resource Management (CBNRM), 10-14 May 1998, Washington DC, United States.” 1999. With Chris D. Gerrard. Washington DC, United States: World Bank Institute, World Bank. [access]
Fisheries Specialist Network (FishNet)
A main focus of Lars’ work at the World Bank was on fisheries and aquaculture. This was the second network that he set up, and it aimed to connect Bank staff with external experts in this area. It existed in the period 1994-1998, and closed when he left the Bank. It was only partly replaced by other activities.
The FishNet website is not available anymore. Alternatively, courtesy Archive.org, a link to a simplified version of how the site appeared on 31 May 2001 is provided.
- [to be added]